To adopt a child in Spain is usually a complex process and for this reason, it is best to be well assisted during the application process.
It is very important to know the requirements and the procedure for the adoption of a child with Spanish nationality.
The requirements to adopt a child with Spanish nationality are the following
- At least one member of the couple must be over the age of 25.
- The age difference between the adopters and the adoptee may not be less than 16 years and not more than 45 years. This maximum age difference must be met by at least the youngest member of the couple.
- The adoptive parents may not be deprived of parental authority over a previous child or have suspended the exercise of parental authority.
- A certificate of suitability must be obtained.
What is the process like?
The first step that a couple who wishes to adopt must take is contact the Child Protection Services of the corresponding “Autonomous Community” and obtain through them the certificate of suitability.
How to obtain the certificate of suitability
In order to obtain the certificate of suitability, you will carry out a psychosocial examination, submit an application for adoption and next to this application, it will be necessary to attach the following documents:
- Criminal record certificate.
- Medical certificate.
- Certificate of economic income
- Marriage certificate.
Once the certificate of suitability has been obtained, the couple will be on the waiting list for the allocation of a child (the average waiting time is usually 6 to 8 years, depending on the case).
Assigning a child to the family
After a child is assigned to a family, a guardianship for adoption purposes is carried out to make sure that the child adapts to its new home and if this adaptation is positive, it proceeds to the court so that a judge by means of a sentence approves the adoption with the consent of the adoptive parents.
The adoption approval
When the adoption has been approved by a judgment, as a final step, this judgment is taken to the Registry office for the adoption to be registered
Entering into an adoption process is a very important and overwhelming decision, which is why it is advisable to have a professional to accompany you along the way to make the journey less long and lighter.
In case you need more information do not hesitate to contact us at Pellicer & Heredia we have a professional and dedicated team that has many years of experience in legal advice.