Do you need to update your EU residency certificate / green card or do you need a new one?

If you have a question about this topic, please Contact Us

7 lawyers Online Now

Have you changed address and need to update your details? Or has your green certificate/card been damaged, lost or stolen?

Firstly, lets remind you of who this green card is for. If you are a citizen of a Member State of the European Union or of another State that is part of the European Economic Area agreement or Switzerland, and you are going to reside in Spanish territory for a period of more than three months, you need to apply for an EU residency certificate which is also known as the ‘green card’.

When this document is issued by the appropriate authorities, the Certificate is issued at the same time as you are registered on what is called the Central Register of Foreigners.

The Certificate of Registration of Union Citizens is issued to people who are nationals of an EU country. This paper includes an NIE number (Foreigner’s Identity Number) and is used as identification for EU citizens together with your passport (as it does not include a photo). Once you have this you do not need to apply for an NIE number.

With this certificate, EU citizens can work and reside legally in Spain. It is important to point out that EU citizens do not receive a plastic TIE card (Foreigner’s Identity Card). Your EU residency certificate/green card comes in the size of a bank card but is not plastic. This card cannot be laminated but it can be kept in a card holder or you can laminate a good colour copy and safely keep your original together with your passport.

Now, what happens if this famous EU green card or certificate needs updating or has been lost, damaged or stolen and you need a new one?

Unfortunately, if you have had residency for less than 5 years, you cannot simply book an appointment to obtain a new copy or to update your address. In the case of change of address, loss, theft or damage, you must reapply like when you first registered, fulfilling all the requirements and taking all the necessary paperwork. However, if you have had residency for more than 5 years, you can apply for your permanent green card/certificate and you do not need to prove income or savings.

In either case, you do not have to worry, as we will help you every step of the way. We will tell you exactly what you need, secure your appointment at the immigration office, fill out all the forms needed, and accompany you on the day of your appointment.

Please see below a link to an article where we explain what documentation is required (these documents can vary slightly depending on the different immigration offices)

Residency application for EU members 

If you are a non EU citizen the following article will be of your interest:

How to apply for a residence permit in Spain as a non-EU citizen?

Check out our online blog where you can find plenty of information on the various types of residencies and visas available to you.

Immigration | News and Information | Expats Magazine

If you need more information or would like to know how to apply for residency whether you are an EU national or not, please do not hesitate to contact us. We have a professional and dedicated immigration team with many years of experience in this field and can arrange an appointment for you with one of our expert lawyers.

Information search

If you have a friend or know someone who may be interested in this topic, you can share or send this text using these buttons:

Need more info? We are here to help