Health Insurance as a Citizen of EU

Do I need health insurance as a citizen of the EU, EEA or Switzerland?

If you have a question about this topic, please Contact Us

7 lawyers Online Now

When will you need health insurance to reside in Spain as a citizen of a country in the European Union, European Economic Area or Switzerland?

Citizens of a country in the European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland who are going to reside in Spain for a period greater than three months must request enrolment in the Central Registry of Foreign Nationals.

At the time of seeking registration in the Central Registry of Foreign Nationals, it is a requirement to have public or private health insurance, taken out in Spain or in another country. The insurance must provide coverage in Spain during the entire period of residence, equivalent to that provided by the National Health System, in the following cases:

  • If you are unemployed. Pensioners must provide a valid health care certificate from the competent State where the pension is received from.
  • If you are a student. In this case, you can provide a European health card valid for the period of residence in Spain, and enabling you to receive the necessary health benefits from a medical point of view, taking into account the nature of the benefits and the expected duration.

When is health insurance not a requirement?

In Spain, you do not need health insurance if you are a citizen from the EU, EEA or Switzerland, and:

  • You are employed.
  • You are self-employed.

For your peace of mind, we recommend a professional insurance advisory service, providing the best-tailored advice for your particular situation.

Related videos

Information search

If you have a friend or know someone who may be interested in this topic, you can share or send this text using these buttons:

Need more info? We are here to help