Entitled to Public Healthcare in Spain

Special Agreement for Access to Spanish Healthcare for Uninsured Patients & Resolving Your Doubts

If you have a question about this topic, please Contact Us

7 lawyers Online Now

The Special Agreement for Healthcare Access to those who are uninsured allows access to the benefits of the basic health care services of the National Health System within the Valencian Community.

The Agreement does not cover the benefits included in the supplementary health care services of the National Health System, such as pharmaceutical, orthoprosthetic, dietary products or non-urgent medical transport.

Who can apply for access to the agreement?

Those eligible for this agreement must be:

  • Registered on the “Padron” at their local town hall within the Valencian Community
  • Not be insured nor a beneficiary of the Health System
  • Not be a beneficiary of the public health protection by any other means

They must also prove that they have been resident in Spain for a continuous period of at least one year immediately prior to the date of the application for the Special Agreement.

A new Special Agreement for Health Care Access cannot be formulated until a period of one year has elapsed from the day after the previous one has expired.


  • Proof of residence in Spain for a continuous period of at least one year immediately prior to the date of the application for the Special Agreement.
  • At the time of submitting the application for the Special Agreement, you must be registered on the “padron” (census) at your local Town Hall within the Valencian Community.
  • Not have access to the public health system through any other means, whether through the application of national or community legislations, or bilateral agreements signed by Spain.

What are the fees for being a beneficiary of the Special Agreement and how do I pay them?

The fee for subscribing to the Special Agreement for Health Care Access is as follows, depending on the age of the beneficiary on the date on which the corresponding monthly fee is due:

  • If the beneficiary is under 65 years of age: 60€ monthly fee.
  • If the beneficiary is 65 or above:  157€ monthly fee.

The amounts of the aforementioned fees shall be due in full for each calendar month that the agreement is in force. Notwithstanding the above, the amount corresponding to the month in which the agreement commences and the month in which it terminates shall be prorated according to the number of days the agreement is in force during those months.

The fees shall be paid by direct debit from the bank account specified on the application, which must be held by the person signing the agreement. Subsequent instalments must be paid within the first ten calendar days of the month to which they correspond.

Exceptionally, when there are justified reasons for being unable to make the payments by direct debit, the Ministry of Health may authorise you to pay the fees in a financial institution that is partnered with the Generalitat.

Resolve your doubts about the Spanish Public Healthcare system.

Were you a legal resident in Spain prior to the 24th of April 2012? Do you earn less than 100,000 euros per year?

If so, did you know that you and your family may be legally entitled to healthcare cover in Spain?

According to Act Real Decreto-Ley 16/2012, reforming the Spanish healthcare system, you need the following documents in order to apply for Public Healthcare in Spain:

  • Valid passport.
  • Residency certificate/card dated before 24th of April 2012.
  • A letter from the department of work and pensions if you are British (or your home country’s equivalent).
  • A copy of your “padrón” certificate from your town hall (issued less than 3 months ago).
  • Proof of income, such as your wage slip, pension or a copy of last year’s tax return.
  • A copy of the Social Security form duly completed.
  • A legalized and translated copy of your children’s birth certificate.

Don’t worry if you don’t meet the above requirements, as there are other ways to qualify:

  • If you are entitled but your family is not, they can apply to be beneficiaries by submitting translated and legalized copies of your marriage certificate, your children’s birth certificates, and a copy of your family book (Libro de Familia) if you have one. This way, they may receive free healthcare cover too.
  • If you or your spouse reside and legally work in Spain (with a Spanish work contract) and you submit the correct paperwork at your local INSS office, you and your family may also be entitled to health care.
  • If you or your spouse receives a state pension from a European country, by submitting the correct paperwork you will both be entitled to enjoy free Spanish healthcare.
  • If you have lived in Spain for over a year and do not meet any of the above requirements, you can apply to access the healthcare system by paying a small monthly fee. If you are under 60 years of age the cost will be 60 euros a month; if you are over 65 years of age the fee is 157 euros a month.

If you need our help with applying for access to the Spanish Public Healthcare system or would like to arrange an appointment with one of our specialist lawyers and advisors, please do not hesitate to contact us.

For more information, please contact Pellicer & Heredia on +34 965 480 737 or email us at info@pellicerheredia.com.

Related videos

Information search

If you have a friend or know someone who may be interested in this topic, you can share or send this text using these buttons:

Need more info? We are here to help