The Energy Performance Certificate in Spain (EPC)

The Energy Performance Certificate in Spain (EPC)

If you have a question about this topic, please Contact Us

7 lawyers Online Now

Certificado de Eficiencia Energética (CEE)

Since the first of June 2013, anyone selling or renting a property, short or long term, needs an energy performance certificate. There are of course exceptions in place, which we will mention further on in the article.

The energy performance certificate is a report that describes how efficient a home is in terms of energy consumption (electricity, water and gas). It assigns an energy rating to each home on a scale which ranges from “A” (the most efficient) to “G” (the least efficient).

To apply for a certificate, you must go through a registered EPC Assessor. Many renewable energy specialists, architects, surveyors and construction engineers are now registered as Energy Assessors and can issue an EPC.

The responsibility to obtain an Energy Performance Certificate EPC lies with the seller or in case of a new build, the developer. Once you have the EPC, your property is under guarantee for 10 years.

What property requires an Energy Performance Certificate, and which is exempt from such certificate?

If you wish to sell your property or rent it out for a longer period than four months, an energy performance certificate is a strict requirement. Without the EPC your property cannot be sold, nor can it be legally rented out for a period over four months.

When the property is being sold, the original certificate should be presented by the seller, and in the case of a new rental contract, a photocopy must be attached to the contract.

Additionally, advertising material must clearly show the allocated energy label. Estate Agents are obliged to include details of the EPC on any advertising such as posters, on the internet and in brochures.

An EPC is not required in the following scenarios:

  1. A property that has a floor area of less than 50 square meters.
  2. Buildings that are purchased for major renovation or demolition.
  3. Buildings or parts of buildings that are used for less than four months a year.

Besides an EPC being a requirement for most properties, it adds value to your home. Moreover, due to the holiday rental law, it is also a pre-requisite to have your licence approved (if applicable).

The Autonomous Community responsible will have a team of inspectors to check that the correct certificates are in place. If you do not have a valid Energy Performance Certificatethere are some serious fines, and different levels of penalties will be imposed, depending on the severity of the offence.

Information search

If you have a friend or know someone who may be interested in this topic, you can share or send this text using these buttons:

Need more info? We are here to help