What are the benefits of a Residence Permit in Spain?
If you are moving to Spain long term, the next thing you should be doing is applying for a residence permit. This will give you access to many benefits, such as health care in Spain.
As an EU Member, the following documents are required to apply for residency in Spain:
- EX18 application form duly filled in and signed (two copies).
- Passport: original and copy.
- One passport photo.
- Administration fee: 12 €.
- Certificate of registration (Certificado de Empadronamiento) from the Town Hall, not older than three months from the day of application (original).
Additionally, depending on your personal situation, the documents below must be provided:
- If you are employed, you can provide any of the following documents:
- Confirmation of engagement from the employer or a certificate of employment, including name and address of the company, tax identification and contribution account code.
- Employment contract registered in the Public Employment Service, or communication of the contract and its conditions on the CONTRAT@ platform.
- Registration document or equivalent of registration in the corresponding Social Security system, or consent to the verification of the data in the files of the General Treasury of the Social Security.
- If you are self-employed, you can provide any of the following documents:
- Registration in the Economic Activities Census.
- Grounds of establishment through registration in the Commercial Registry.
- Document of registration or equivalent of the registration in the corresponding Social Security system, or consent to the verification of the data in the files of the General Treasury of the Social Security or of the Tax Agency.
- If you are unemployed, you must provide:
- Proof of having public or private health insurance contracted in Spain or in another country, provided that it covers Spain during the period of residence, equivalent to that provided by the national health system. Pensioners comply with this such as; property titles, certified checks, documents justifying income or credit cards with bank certification, proving the amount available as credit of the aforementioned card.
- If you are a student, you must provide:
- Registration of the public or private education center, recognised or financed by the competent educational administration.
- Documentation proving that you have public or private health insurance. You can provide a European health insurance card valid for the entire period of residence, which enables you to receive the necessary health benefits from a medical point of view, taking into account the nature of the benefits and the expected duration.
- Statement proving sufficient financial means for yourself and your family for the period of residence in Spain.
The submission of accredited documentation to participate in a European Union programme that promotes educational exchange for students and teachers will be considered sufficient for the fulfilment of these requirements.